×

History

The town of Macclesfield experienced the transition from market town to industrial centre as a result of its successful silk industry. 

The first silk mill was established there in 1743 and textile manufacturing then dominated the town until the end of the nineteenth century. This extraordinary expansion was due to Macclesfield’s good transport links to other markets as many silk products travelled via the canal system to London. In addition, the river Bollin that ran through the town, provided power for the numerous mills and its water was soft enough for use in silk processing.

In Victorian times the site where Adamley is located was owned by Hollins Steam Laundry. Due to its vicinity to the source of the river Bollin, the company was able to use the cleanest water to provide the whole of Macclesfield’s silk industry with its washing and finishing services.

The site, with its own water supply and water wheel (evidence of which can still be found), was later acquired by M. Adamski and F. Parker who expanded the buildings to cover the dyeing, printing and finishing of fine silks. The company, originally trading as Parkadam, will later become Adamley Textiles.